Volunteers are always welcome at Community Building Supply. Volunteers help organize and move building materials, reducing the flow of materials into the waste-stream and making it easier for the community to find and reuse resources.
Volunteer groups and individuals are invited to join us any day of the week during store hours (see below
Some of the things you do as a volunteer at Community Building Supply include: loading and unloading vehicles, carrying donated building materials into the warehouse, sorting materials (trim, lumber, electrical supplies, lighting, tile, miscellaneous materials), painting, pulling nails, sweeping, measuring doors and more. Our needs are different every day. Just show up with a positive attitude and we’ll find a way for you to help!
How to Volunteer:
Volunteer groups and individuals are invited to join us any day of the week during store hours, which are Monday through Saturday, 9 am to 5 pm.
We encourage all volunteers (especially groups) to sign up in advance by contacting Joe at (541) 889.3078 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drop in volunteering:
Dropping in? Sure, that’s fine! We like being prepared for volunteers, but if you’re in the neighborhood and just happen to have some time on your hands, we’ll take it!!
When you get here:
• Check in with the cashier at the register in the warehouse.
• Please complete and sign our volunteer application form, if you have not done so in the past.
• Be sure to sign in when you arrive and sign out when you leave. A sign in/out notebook is also at the front desk.
• BE SAFE! We are a very safety conscious organization. The nature of our inventory in the warehouse means that there are nails, sharp corners, tripping hazards, and sometimes-unstable piles. If you lift anything, be sure to use safe lifting techniques. If you aren’t sure, ask a staff person.
Before you arrive:
A few things to keep in mind before you come:
- Always wear closed-toed shoes. Work boots are great; steel-toed shoes are best.
- Wear your grungiest old clothes. Plan on getting dirty.
Bring work gloves if you have them. (We have extras, but it’s nice to wear your own.)
Bring a water bottle (especially in the summer). You’ll be glad.
- Our warehouse is not climate controlled so expect it to be as warm or cold inside as it is outside.
From the beginning, Community Building Supply has been powered by hundreds of volunteers. We would not be here without your support.